Upton Upon Severn is a small town and civil parish in the Malvern Hills District of Worcestershire, England, on the River Severn, located 5 miles (8.0 km) from Malvern. The bridge at Upton is the only one across the River Severn between Worcester and Tewkesbury. The present bridge was built in 1940. Upton was founded in 897. Oliver Cromwell’s soldiers crossed the Severn here to win the battle of Upton before the main Battle of Worcester in the English Civil War. The town has a distinctive tower and copper-clad cupola known locally as the Pepperpot and is the only surviving remnant of a former church.
Low lying areas of Upton suffered serious flooding in 2000. In the 2007 United Kingdom floods, levels exceeded those in 2000, and the town was inaccessible by road. The town has been dubbed ‘Upton under Severn’. However it should be borne in mind that the overall proportion of properties that were flooded remains low – the large majority of properties in Upton were not flooded.
Upton Upon Severn is the home of The White Lion Hotel, a 16th Century Coaching Inn, where parts of the building date back to 1510. The building has undergone many transformations over the centuries and is easily found on the high street due to its distinctive portico, adorned with its very own lion. Reputed to have played a part in the English Civil War, where soldiers from both sides are alleged to have enjoyed the hospitality of this popular local hostelry prior to the Battle of Worcester. Guests of the hotel can stay in rooms referred to in books VII and VIII of Henry Fielding’s classic 1749 novel “Tom Jones” in which he refers to the hotel as “A house of exceeding good repute” these rooms retain many of their original features.
Upton Upon Severn Sports Field is the home of Upton Upon Severn Rugby Club, as well as being used for Welland Junior Swifts matches and other community functions.